Your Baby Is 1 Month Old
Your baby is one month! Surely you have already got used to the rhythms of your little one and are much more familiar with breastfeeding, sleeping hours or bathing.
What used to be so difficult for you at the beginning, when your baby was a newborn, like washing, dressing or controlling his schedules, is now something automatic, in which you develop perfectly.
In addition, you already feel very recovered: the quarantine is in the final stretch and the points of the episiotomy or cesarean section practically do not bother you.
However, the baby may suffer some digestive discomfort, related to gas or the dreaded colic of the infant, which are so often of concern to parents.
You may be interested in the early stimulation of the baby because you want to enhance its development from a very young age.
We invite you to learn more about the development of the one-month-old baby and we tell you what progress is being made at this age.
Growth And Development Of Your 1 month old Baby
Don’t be obsessed with your little one’s weight; You will understand for yourself if your child has eaten enough or is still hungry. To be calm:
- Weigh you once a week (unless the paediatrician indicates otherwise); It will be enough to see how your little one grows and his progress will not cease to amaze you.
- If you wonder if you should offer water to your baby, you should know that both breast milk and formula already provide enough hydration, even when the little one is sick.
- Even so, it could be given a little water, if it is very hot (previously boiled, cooled and kept in a sterilized bottle).
During the first month of the baby, it grows an average of 3-4 centimetres. However, if it grows more or less, you shouldn’t worry. There are many factors that influence growth.
In addition, the little ones tend to compensate, that is, they may grow only one centimetre a month and the following month they have increased four. As always, the paediatrician will be the one who offers you all the indications about the growth and development of your child.
During these first weeks, you will also have to learn to interpret her crying :
- If your child cries it is not because he is an unhappy baby, but because at the moment it is the only way he has to communicate with his environment and you will have no choice but to try to calm him through the trial and error method.
- Among the most common causes of crying for a month-old baby are: hunger, feeling too hot or cold, being wet or uncomfortable, feeling alone, being little or too stimulated, being tired or feeling bad.
Soon, when you are awake, your child will start making some sounds. And it is likely that he will respond to them when you talk to him or stimulate him, he will be scared…
And now, do you want to know how your baby is growing and what percentile it is in? Here is our growth chart!
Feeding Your 1 Month Baby
Your one-month-old baby’s diet is based on exclusive, on-demand breastfeeding, and this should be the case until at least six months, as indicated by the WHO (World Health Organization) recommendations.
However, not all moms breastfeed their babies, for whatever reason, both of their own free will and for not receiving adequate information and advice.
If you were unable (or unwilling) to breastfeed your baby when he was born, consider the following:
- Strange as it may seem, breastfeeding can be recovered after an interruption, for example, if the mother had to take any medication or perform any medical treatment incompatible with the feedings. Your midwife will indicate the guidelines to follow in case you want to breastfeed your baby again.
- Likewise, you may have opted for mixed breastfeeding, that is, the alternation of breastfeeding with formula milk feeds with a bottle. This option is recurrent in mothers who return to work after maternity leave and decide not to express breast milk with a breast pump.
- The feeding of formula exclusively home is an option, although breastfeeding is always the ideal and recommended option. In any case, it is an option that covers all the nutritional needs of the baby. Always follow the paediatrician’s instructions to the letter.
REMEMBER! Although breast milk is the best and most complete food you can offer your baby, you should not feel guilty if you are unable or unwilling to breastfeed your child.
Your 1 Month Old baby’s dream
Undoubtedly, it is not easy to care for a newborn who, perhaps, does not sleep at night (and does not let him sleep!), Often cries and has a crying crisis that you do not always know how to interpret. Parents can console yourself knowing that these difficult moments will end with the passage of time.
For greater peace of mind regarding this situation of little sleep at night, you should know that:
- The one-month-old infant can hardly sleep many hours in a row like an angel since his stomach is still very small and he needs to fill it often to feel satisfied. Consequently, nocturnal feeding (or shots) are common, and even desirable, at this age.
- If the little one is one of the few who no longer wakes up at night to claim the breast or bottle, you do not need to wake him up, if the paediatrician has not indicated otherwise.
- In any case, night shots should be carried out in a relaxed, quiet and low-light environment, the essential to feel at ease and see what you are doing. In this way, the baby gets used to distinguishing well that it is not a period of activity.
Meanwhile, it is better to get used to the idea that your rest will be disturbed and that you should take advantage of your baby’s sleep periods to rest as well.
If the frequency of feedings begins to stabilize and your little one does not ask for your breast or bottle as often, you can take the opportunity to spend some relaxing moments: you can take a walk, take a relaxing bath, read a book, etc. I mean
ADVICE! Don’t despair! We know that tiredness takes its toll and can make you feel overwhelmed. Ask a trusted person to help you rest.
Tips And Well-being For Your 1-month-old Baby
Let’s talk a little bit about dad. Of course, the mother is the most important figure for the newborn, due to the close physical and psychological relationship that links the mother and the baby naturally. How does the father figure benefit the little one?
- The role of the father is essential to create a calm environment and guarantee an intense and rich bond from the emotional point of view, which transmits protection and security to the little one.
- Although the care of the baby is an instinctive act for the mother, there are times when the father feels overcome and excluded from this symbiosis relationship that is established between mother and son, not to mention the little jealousy he may feel when leaving of being the centre of attention of your partner.
One of the disorders that can affect your child in this period is colic, which causes desperate crying crises that, at first glance, seem inexplicable. No need to worry: up to 25% of newborns suffer from them, they are harmless and the problem will disappear spontaneously within three months.
Surely you have been bathing the baby for a few days and you have perfected the technique, but keep in mind that the bath should always take place in a warm environment with warm water, at a temperature of about 37ºC. You should have on hand the towel, the diaper and his clothes and dry and dress him right away.
ATTENTION! The beginnings of parenting are essential to establish an unbreakable bond between the newborn and his parents. Encourage occasions, not necessarily linked to breastfeeding, where you can share moments of complicity and emotion with your child.
What a 1-month-old baby does
Newborns are soon related to the outside world. They are sensitive to lights and sounds, and it is their mother’s voice and face that most attract her attention.
- The newborn is already able to perceive almost all sounds, although he cannot locate its origin well. And it is that, in this period, the sounds come to him as a set of echoes.
- It is important that, from the beginning, the baby is exposed to the different sounds that take place, for example, at home. Exposure to different sounds creates a brain sound map (tonotopic map) in your memory. This map will continue to be refined until three years of age.
- The newborn does not see beyond 20-25 cm. The images you see are still imprecise and quite out of focus.
- It also fails to direct both eyes towards the same object, because the fixation reflex is not yet mature. For this reason, above all, the eye contour and the movement of the mouth attract your attention.
- The world you see is in black and white. And it is precisely for this reason that you can easily find your mother’s nipple, which is darker than the skin of the breast.
- With a month, if the little boy is left face down, he manages to lift his neck for a few moments.
- However, the same does not happen when you sit down. If we sit it, the head sways and tends to fall forward or backwards.
How to stimulate your 1-month-old baby
Your baby is receiving a multitude of stimuli through his ears as his vision wakes up.
The benefits of stimulating the child’s ear with music are innumerable:
- Affective stimulation generates a greater number of neurotransmitters, the foundation of brain activity.
- Through the love and language of music, we promote and improve cognitive abilities, the basis of brain organization.
- Cognitive capacity is the faculty of a living being to process information from perception, acquired knowledge (experience) and subjective characteristics that allow information to be valued. It consists of processes such as learning, reasoning, attention, memory, problem solving, decision making, or feelings.
Do we try a session while holding your little one in your arms?
With the sessions that we propose below, the bond between mom and baby, or between dad and baby is reinforced. At the home session, the little one will memorize all kinds of patterns of melodies and rhythms. This will improve your language and learning ability.
In this sense, it is very important to highlight that the benefits of sensory stimulation through musical language are obtained with the repetition of the auditions.
A very intimate moment is when you hold your baby in your arms while a workout is playing. Pay attention to and feel their reactions, the sounds and babble they emit, and how their eyes react to musical variations. You can answer him if he makes any noise in the form of a babble!