Your newborn baby already has 15 days! Congratulations, because you have already passed the “litmus test” of the first days of the newborn baby.
Surely, you are already familiar with breastfeeding or bottle-feeding, and either you have been very lucky, or in all likelihood, you are experiencing a significant lack of sleep.
Adapting to the baby’s sleep-wake rhythm and combining it with the day to day is quite complicated in the first weeks since the little one needs an adaptation period.
We explain how your baby is developing in these first weeks and answer the most frequent questions.
Growth And Development Of Your 15 Day Baby
How do you continue in your new role as mom? You should already feel a little more expert and used to the baby’s presence. Have you noticed any progress? How your baby is growing for 15 days?
After the physiological weight loss of the first days, at the end of the second week of life, the little one usually recovers the birth weight.
Later, it begins to increase an average of 150-200 grams a week (or even more) until the third month.
These guidelines will be very useful when weighing your little one:
- Weigh your child once a week, naked and fasting, if possible, always at the same time.
- The baby must be weighed on a table scale equipped with a wide and enveloping palate. In this way, you will prevent the little one from falling.
- Do not forget to write down the data to comment it to the paediatrician who controls the child’s growth.
However, you should not obsess over the baby’s weight or weigh him several times a day. The best thing is that you wait for the visit of the paediatrician or the nurse, who will give you the correct guidelines and solve all your doubts about the growth and feeding of the baby.
During the first month, the baby’s breathing is irregular and somewhat noisy. Your main mission will be to establish a constant respiratory rate. Other tasks are gradually mastering actions such as crying, sneezing, coughing, yawning, and anything that takes effort.
Your five senses are already prepared to receive stimuli and process basic information.
And now, do you want to calculate the percentile your baby is in? We present you our table of height and weight percentiles!
Feeding Your 15-day-old Baby
How is breastfeeding going? Are you having a problem? Have you resorted to artificial feeding?
If you breastfeed, you can take into account this series of tips that will help you:
- Once the milk has risen, milk production must be regulated and adapted to your child’s specific needs.
- You should know that the more and more often you suck, the more milk you will produce.
- The ideal is that it is fed on demand, that is, without following a certain schedule, but when the little one decides.
- You should also not obsess about calculating how much time he spends breastfeeding: he will do it eight to twelve times a day and sometimes it will take longer than others to empty the breast.
In some shots, it may take ten minutes to do it, and on another lazy day, it may take twice as long. There will even be other times when you will simply suck because it is reassuring.
- In any case, do not rush him and, if you have any questions, consult your paediatrician or midwife, who will give you all the advice related to his diet.
REMEMBER! The cracks in the nipple are wounds or lesions that appear during infancy and that makes this result very painful. Ask your midwife for advice at the next consultation!
Your 15-day baby’s dream
Regarding sleep, you should keep in mind the following aspects:
- The newborn sleeps most of the day. However, you must get used to distinguishing day from night.
- Ideally, during the day, the child sleeps with the usual light and sounds of the house, without trying not to remain silent.
- At night, however, the environment should be calm, quiet and dark, so that the baby understands that they are the rest hours of the whole family and begins to get used to sleeping more hours at night. I mean
ATTENTION! It is very important for dads to learn, little by little, to distinguish the different types of baby crying. The little one may cry from sleep, hunger, need for comfort…
Tips And Well-being Of Your 15 Day Baby
In this period, your child is still unable to focus on the face of the person holding him. But, although he does not distinguish you, he can already see you and recognize your voice, which calms him and transmits security.
In these first weeks, contact with the mother is total and continuous, both to feed and to notice your presence, which calms her. It gives you security and reinforces the maternal-filial bond, essential to growing healthy and happy.
Your new 24-hour mom role may make you feel moments of fatigue, weariness, and even discouragement. Don’t worry, it’s totally normal. The whole family has to get used to the new situation.
Take advantage of the moments when the baby sleeps to rest you too, or even to go for a little walk around so that it gives you air and you clear yourself.
During these first days, in addition, you must take care of your umbilical cord, the one that until recently kept you connected.
- It is important to keep the cord wound clean and dry at all times. For this, it is not necessary to use alcohol, antiseptics, talcum powder or disinfectant.
- Only warm water – without soap – will be enough if there is some dirt. It is also important to use diapers that close below the umbilical area or, failing that, fold it down to avoid infections.
- In about 7-15 days, the cord will dry, blacken and fall off by itself.
REMEMBER! The skin- to- skin contact during the first days, both mom and dad with, is very beneficial to both promote breastfeeding as the link between parents and baby. Consult your midwife or nurse!
How to stimulate your 15-day-old baby
Your baby has developed his ear since your 24th week of pregnancy. Recognize your voice as well as your smell. Nothing will stimulate you more than hearing and feeling you.
Your baby is receiving a multitude of stimuli through his ears as his vision wakes up. The ear canal is one of the best to stimulate your baby at this stage ! Especially if we do it from contact and love. Do we take advantage of it?
The benefits of stimulating the child’s ear with music in this period are innumerable:
- The contrast between the notes of the different adapted musical language exercises will make your baby think musically.
- This type of affective stimulation is more effective and generates a greater number of neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are chemicals present inside neurons. They serve to facilitate the transfer of nerve impulses through the neural connection (synapse), facilitating or inhibiting a stimulus. Neurotransmitters are the basis of brain activity.
Do we try a sensory breastfeeding session?
Each sensory stimulation exercise during breastfeeding is specifically designed so that your baby understands the changes between notes perfectly.
In addition, with the sessions that we offer you, you can also strengthen the maternal-filial bond! Session after session, the little one will memorize all kinds of melodic and rhythmic patterns. This will improve your language and learning ability.
In this sense, it is very important to highlight that the benefits of sensory stimulation through musical language are obtained with the repetition of the auditions