Your baby is three months, congratulations! Baby’s first three months have become an exciting time, where you’ve been able to see incredibly fast progress in no time. It seems incredible how much it has grown!
All her senses have evolved a lot, the small inconveniences of the first weeks and months have already been overcome, and you have already become an expert mom.
From now on, you will see important changes in his physical abilities, and you will be able to interact with your little one much more, enjoying their smiles and gurgling. Here you have information about the development of three-month-old babies.
Your little one is busy training when he is 3 months old. He presses himself several times a day and gets his head higher off the ground. The world looks very different from this perspective! Feel free to join your little one by doing some push-ups yourself. Besides, your baby does not only train his torso: his legs are also included extensively in the schedule. He constantly kicks and tries to oppose everything.
Growth And Development Of Your 3-month-old Baby
“Mini-Birthday” The three months mark the first stage of its development and it is time to assess its growth with more knowledge of the cause.
At three months, the baby’s weight is about 6-7 kilos. At the end of the three months, the little one will have increased about 10.5 centimetres with respect to his height at birth.
In any case, the average values do not have to correspond to those of your child and you should know that a certain variation up or down is totally normal. Genetics is decisive for the weight or size of the child.
3 months old baby activities
- At this age, you can follow a moving object, open and close of hands, make sounds and gurgles, raise head about 45 degrees when turned upside down, and move legs and arms vigorously, among other achievements.
- Although vision will not fully develop until six months, your baby now distinguishes a range of colours and begins to perfect depth perception in its progression until seeing in 3D. Among all the colours, you are fascinated by primaries, so you will have a preference for green, blue or red toys or clothing.
- In these moments baby is also able to see the individual characteristics of the face of those around him, so he will try to touch your mouth, your eyes, your nose or your ears.
Have you noticed that there are certain patterns that the baby repeats and that you can use to interpret his needs at all times?
- For example, a baby kicking, raising his fist, or having a red face may mean that he is overstimulated, upset, or needs a diaper change.
- If rub eyes, yawn or put fingers in your mouth, babies are probably tired.
Baby development at 3 months
- The legs are still not strong enough to support the weight of the body when upright.
- He grabs objects that are placed in his hands for a moment but still cannot look at what he is grabbing at the same time.
- You can hold your head relatively well for seconds when sitting.
- He already has some strength in his hands and touches the surface of objects, without grabbing them. Play with your fingers. Put your hands to your mouth.
- Visually alert, he follows the adults with his eyes and moves his head. Acquire the notion of depth.
- She shows anxiety when she sees the mother’s breast or the bottle to be fed.
- She loves looking and playing with her hands.
- Begins to establish routines such as sleep or breastfeeding time.
- Stop crying when you hear a noise (from a toy, for example).
- It makes noises and vocalizes when you are happy.
- He turns his head in the direction of the sound.
- Moves the lips and produces sounds with the mouth when it realizes that it will be fed.
- Reacts with enthusiasm to familiar and liked sounds.
- Recognizes familiar sounds and voices. Reacts when you sing to him, call him or play with him. You can cry when you stop playing.
- It shows pleasure when they hold him or talk to him. You are likely to relax when listening to music.
- Shows displeasure at noise or strange noises that frighten you.
- Look at the mother/parents when they are being breastfed or when they are taking care of them.
- Reacts with satisfaction in the face of family situations (when someone interacts with him, for example).
- Enjoy the bath and other daily routines.
- I smiled intentionally! The baby’s body moves and radiates happiness.
Baby weight at 3 months
The following table gives indications about the ideal baby weight for this age, however, the weight may vary slightly, and the baby may be more or less weight.
|Weight||5.8 kg||5.5 kg|
|Stature||61 cm||60 cm|
|Cephalic perimeter||40.5 cm||39 cm|
|Thoracic perimeter||40 cm||38 cm|
|Monthly weight gain||750 g||750 g|
On average, babies at this stage of development maintain a pattern of weight gain of 750 g per month. However, it may happen that the weight is well above the values indicated here, in which case it is possible that the baby is overweight, and it is recommended to consult the paediatrician.
Baby sleep at 3 months
The 3-month-old baby’s sleep begins to regularize. The internal clock starts to synchronize with the world around you, being able to identify the difference in sleep during the day and during the night.
At this age, the baby sleeps a little less, on average 15 hours a day. Many can sleep through the night, however, those who are exclusively breastfed may still need to wake up every 3 hours to breastfeed.
Diapers should be changed whenever the baby poops, as this ends up disturbing his sleep, but you should avoid making these changes during the night so that sleep is not interrupted.
Your life with a 3-month-old baby
You are probably back to work by now. How is it for you not to be around your little one? It is not surprising if you have the worst disaster scenarios in your head and you miss your child. Your concentration may also be hard to find and when you come home you hug your baby completely crazy: you missed him so much! Don’t worry, you’re really not alone. Give yourself time to get used to the fact that you can no longer be with your little one 24/7.
Can your partner actually get used to parenting a bit? Your partner must also find his way in the new situation. So give him space and time to take care of, comfort and cuddle your baby. In men, the oxytocin level, the cuddly hormone, rises, especially when they play an active game with their child. The activities from the baby weeks are therefore highly recommended: quality time for dad and baby!
The relationship between you and your partner has probably changed quite a bit now that you have a baby. Instead of a strong duo, you are suddenly an insecure trio, and that third person demands all your time and attention. In the beginning, it makes sense that you mainly play mom and dad, but it is important to see each other as lovers again. Of course, this is not just about sex, but while we’re on the subject, how’s your vagina doing? Do you still suffer from it? Your vagina can either be a little bigger after delivery or a little smaller if you’re a bit too tight. If you are unsure or still in pain, discuss this with your partner and/or a gynaecologist.
3 month-old baby feeding
After three months, night feeding may begin to decrease (if your child wakes up to eat at night).
Feeding the 3-month-old baby should be exclusive breastmilk, keeping it, if possible, up to 6 months.
However, many mothers return to work at this stage, making exclusive breastfeeding impossible. If this happens and the mother has difficulty in storing the milk, supplement it with powdered milk appropriate for her age according to the instructions given by the paediatrician. Find out more about what your 3-month-old baby should be eating at Baby 0 to 6 months of age.
There are still another three months to start with the introduction of new foods, so exclusive breastfeeding (or the bottle, if you feed your child with artificial milk) continues to be the only way to feed your little one.
Did you know that around three months, your baby can suffer what is called a lactation crisis?
- This lactation crisis is often also called the three-month crisis. It often happens that the baby wakes up more at night and claims the breast much more often.
- Coincides with a period of faster growth of the baby. Milk demand corresponds to the child’s need to meet specific needs.
Some dads are concerned that their little ones are constipated.
Babies can relieve themselves from three times a day to once every other day and it differs greatly from baby to baby.
- Those who eat breast milk do not dream of constipating because it contains ingredients that keep the stool soft.
- However, if you observe that your child makes hard stools, in the form of pellets; You exert yourself without result or feel pain when passing stool and even stain the diaper with a little blood that may be due to a small tear in the anus, do not hesitate to consult your paediatrician.
REMEMBER! The fact that your baby needs to drink milk more often and cries more intensely demanding his feeding does not mean that you have run out of milk. Breastfeed more and your production will be calibrated again!
3-month-old baby feeding amount
A 3-month-old baby should be eating about 4-6 ounces of milk about six to eight times a day.
3-month-old baby feeding frequency
Typically 4-6 ounces about six to eight times a day. Feedings are typically about every three or four hours at this age but each breastfed baby may be slightly different.
Your 3-month-old baby’s dream
The baby begins to become more and more active and spend more time awake. In addition, the hours that the little one spends on sleep begin to decrease.
How much does an average baby sleep at this age?
- Baby will sleep about 15 hours a day: 10 of them at night, with one or two shots in between, and the other five in the form of daytime naps.
- However, not all children need the same hours of sleep to rest well.
- To check if your child is getting enough sleep, you should observe if he is tired during the day, if he yawns, if he is irritable, etc. Establishing a routine is essential to promote a habit of calm sleep.
ADVICE! Don’t let despair overcome you if you think your baby isn’t getting enough sleep. You just have to check that he shows calm and well-being when he is awake.
Tips And Well-being Of Your 3-month-old Baby
To promote the baby’s physical development, play with his body by performing some gymnastic exercises, such as flexing his legs or extending his arms. What else can you do?
- Stand him for a moment, holding him by the chest, and encourage him to move to pick up his toys, especially if he is lying on his stomach. Although to exercise and strengthen his neck, it is better to lay him on his stomach, remember that your baby should continue sleeping on his back.
- Your baby’s hand-eye coordination improves day by day and, in addition to being able to catch and hold more and more objects, he begins to be aware of the cause-effect relationship, while learning that the objects he hits move, who must move to reach their toys, etc.
Have you noticed how happy your baby is when you enter his field of vision? Although he already recognized you from birth, now he shows his predilection for you in a more expressive way.
He is also very happy, smiling and waving his arms and legs when he sees his dad or those closest to him. Their smiles and twittering are becoming more frequent and loud. It is to eat it!
ATTENTION! Do not tire of performing stimulation exercises on your baby, as long as he is predisposed and feels comfortable. However, you must stop if you see that it is “not for the work”.
What a 3-month-old baby do
At three months, the child begins to show interest in his body. It is also related in an increasingly meaningful way when we deal with it. To communicate his satisfaction, he kicks and waves his arms. And you already know how to respond with guttural sounds to the words of mom and dad!
The little one can already keep his head upright. When lying on your stomach, you can even lift your shoulders. His muscles have been strengthened.
- Towards the end of this month, he will even be able to voluntarily turn his head to look around.
- On the other hand, each time he takes things with greater precision.
At three months, the child can also raise his arms or stretch them forward. Coordinating sight, grasp, and suction. In other words: everything he finds baby will put in his mouth.
Play for baby with 3 months
Play for the 3-month-old baby can be useful to stimulate and increase the bond with the baby, and it is recommended that parents at this age:
- Let the baby put his hand to his mouth so that he starts to take an interest in picking up objects. You can start with a closed hand, but over time the tendency is to open it to hit objects above your head;
- Offer teethers and other vibrantly coloured instruments;
- Lay the baby on its stomach, and place yourself in front of it by shaking a toy at a higher level to encourage it to lift its head and trunk further;
- Leave the baby in a more elevated position, always with support, such as, for example, lifting the stroller a little or leaving it in the baby’s comfort, so that she can better see the world around her;
- Read books for the baby, always varying the tone of the voice, using accents or singing, as this will help to develop hearing and increase the affective bond;
- Stimulate the baby’s touch with different materials, such as plush, toilet paper, felt and various fabrics;
- Touch and massage the baby a lot;
- Always play with the baby, directing him to words and giving him time to respond with his sounds and gestures;
It is important that the toys given to the baby are large, without points and without paint so that it is not absorbed by the mouth, and must also be strong so that they do not break. In addition, stuffed animals should be avoided at this age, as they can trigger allergies.
At this age, the baby must go for daily walks, because the more he sees, the more he learns and these must be done early in the morning and in the late afternoon from 5 pm, to avoid crowds.
How to avoid accidents at this stage
To avoid accidents with the baby from 0 to 3 months, the adoption of safety measures by parents is essential. Some measures to prevent accidents can be:
- Transport the baby in the car in the proper chair and never in the lap, facing backwards;
- Do not put the baby in the seat next to the driver if the airbag is active as it may hurt the baby in the event of an accident or deactivate the airbag;
- Do not leave the baby alone on a table or sofa for even a second because the baby may fall;
- Put the baby to sleep on his back to avoid suffocation and Sudden Death Syndrome;
- Do not put threads or cords on the baby’s neck or to hang the pacifier;
- Do not put objects on the baby’s bed;
- The mattress must be adapted to the bed so that there is no slack and the baby is stuck;
- Always check the temperature of the bathwater and milk before giving the bottle.
In addition, when strolling in the stroller with the baby, put your own sunscreen, even in the shade with the baby because his skin is still very sensitive, as well as a hat and clothes that cover the entire body. At this age, the baby is not recommended to go to the beach.
3-month-old baby toys
- Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy
- Lamaze Freddie The Firefly
- Fisher-Price Deluxe Kick ‘n Play Piano Gym
- Lamaze Mortimer The Moose
- JOYIN Dancing Walking Yellow Duck Baby Toy
- Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle & Sensory Teether Toy
- Sassy Ring O Links 9 Piece Set
- Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat