Your baby is four months! Do you have doubts about its development and growth? We explain the keys to the development of four-month-old babies: food, sleep, psychomotor progress, the growth milestones expected at this age and all issues related to the health, well-being and care of the little ones of four months.
All the information you need for your four-month-old to grow up healthy and happy!
Growth And Development Of Your 4-month-old Baby
Around four months, you will likely have to return to work after your maternity leave. It is one of the critical moments for breastfeeding and for the emotional state of the mother and baby. If you are forced to return to work:
- You must have weighed very well who will be the person who will take care of your little one during the hours you work: the grandmother, a babysitter, the kindergarten.
- Whoever the person or the centre of trust chosen is, is essential that the parents are well convinced of the decision made and that they fully trust the chosen person.
Now that the second quarter begins, its growth will slow down minimally and, while during the first quarter it grew by 10.5 centimetres and fattened up to 200 grams a week, between four and six months a total of 6 will grow, 5 cm and will gain weight around 2 kilograms, reaching 6 or 7 kilos.
What else should you consider about your 4-month-old baby?
- At this age, the baby does not stop moving. Now, you can no longer leave him alone for a moment and even less in an elevated place, such as the changing table or a bed, because he would risk falling. It is very important to ensure your safety.
- If you turn him upside down, he is able to lift his head and hold onto open hands. He also supports his head better and begins to clearly demonstrate that he likes to be accompanied by people who make him play with his body and experience his twittering.
- In addition to learning by observing, in your brain you have mirror neurons, that is, nerve cells that allow you to imitate the facial expressions and movements of others.
- At this time, because the baby’s mouth is hypersensitive, his main way to explore the world around him is by taking everything he can to his mouth, from his own little hands to toys, mom’s nose or a piece of muslin.
- Thus, discover flavours, textures and consistencies. It is a practice that will last up to two years or more, but that does not entail any risk as long as you do not leave too small objects within reach that can be put in your mouth and that all your toys are properly sanitized.
- Its hand-sight-object coordination also improves.
And now, would you like to see what weight and height percentile your child is at? Here is our growth chart!
Feeding Your 4-month-old Baby
It is possible that, following your own perception, the advice of relatives or acquaintances, or even certain outdated medical indications, after four months you will be tempted to introduce a food other than milk, such as adding a small number of cereals gluten-free in your child’s bottle.
In this sense, you should know that the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends exclusive breastfeeding up to six months. In any case, it is better to wait a little longer to introduce new foods.
If breastfeeding is disrupted by your return to work, there are ways to continue breastfeeding by pumping your own milk. You can buy or rent a breast pump, store your own supplies and have the person who cares for your child offer it to you in a bottle, glass or spoon, depending on the child’s preferences. I don’t know
ADVICE! If you must return to work and you are worried that breastfeeding is interrupted and you are forced to switch to formula, let your paediatrician or midwife advise you. They will surely help you!
Your 4-month-old baby’s dream
Your little one’s night’s sleep may be interrupted by small “incidents”, such as:
- He hasn’t burped. When your toddler suddenly wakes up crying or struggles to fall asleep, he or she probably has a little gas that he can’t get out and makes him uncomfortable. In this case, you should hold the baby in your arms and rest his head on your shoulder, patting him on the back.
- He has a dirty diaper. It is another reason that can motivate a night awakening of the crying baby. It is enough for the child’s bottom or genitals to be slightly irritated so that contact with faeces or pee causes a stinging so strong that it forces the baby to wake up crying. In this case, you just have to check if the diaper is dirty and change it. Don’t forget to apply a layer of diaper emollient cream.
REMEMBER! The baby is not just awake from hunger or comfort. Sometimes the reasons are simpler than you think. Discard all possibilities!
Tips And Well-being Of Your 4-month-old Baby
Are you one of the moms who can count on the help of grandparents? You should know that it is fortunate to have the experience of people who have already raised children.
- Grandparents have the advantage that you can fully trust them, due to the doubts (and the price) generated by hiring a babysitter or attending daycare.
- The relationship with the grandparents contributes to the serene growth of the child, who feels surrounded by affection and attention.
- The important thing is that each one maintains his role and you are all aware that dads are irreplaceable.
At this stage of language development, it is helpful for mom to speak to you calmly and warmly to capture your attention and interact with him.
- There is no need to worry if the child does not yet have a wide repertoire of vocalizations.
- However, special attention must be paid if the child does not smile, does not make any sound or does not react when the mother speaks to him.
Do you have pets at home? Although there is still time for your child to interact with her, you must pay attention that your dog or cat does not feel displaced by the newcomer. If there are pets at home, please note the following:
- Keep taking him for a walk or feeding him at the same time as until now so that he does not feel that his routines have changed.
- Even if it is a peaceful animal and it is trained, you should not trust yourself, since if your baby pulls its tail or ear, it can defend itself by biting or scratching it.
- Do not let the animal enter the child’s room or his crib and do not leave them together if it is not under your careful supervision: an involuntary gesture of your child can confuse and attack him.
- Keep your pets properly vaccinated and dewormed and wash your hands every time you handle the animal, its food containers, its toys or grooming utensils.
ATTENTION! The relationship of grandparents with their grandchildren is something really special and unique. However, the parents are the ones who must set the norms and the education of the children.
What a 4-month-old baby does
At four months, our son expresses his sympathies, smiling at family members or other people he kPsychomotricitynows and likes. But how have your motor skills, vision and hearing evolved?
- Towards the end of the fourth month, if he is lying on his stomach, the baby is able to lift the trunk by force with the forearms.
- When lying on your back, kick vigorously by stretching your lower limbs and moving your arms quickly.
- Also, if you sit down, hold your head well.
- At last, you are already able to perfectly distinguish colours.
- Focuses easily at different distances, although he prefers to look at objects or people that are approximately one meter away.
- Improves your ability to coordinate vision and movement, as well as hand-eye coordination. His hands, apart from being open, do not mistake the direction.
- Our son also responds when he hears the sound of a voice. If we call you by name, you will soon learn to answer.
- Enjoy making certain sounds. Their incomprehensible chirps turn into syllables, laughter, or little screams. If we tickle him, he laughs loudly.
- When he is able to pick up the objects, the little one realizes that, when shaking or hitting them, they produce sounds. The rhythm created is still irregular. However, as he grows up, the little one will try to print a compass to these sounds, thus determining a predictable “sequence of cadences”.
How to stimulate your 4-month-old baby
4 months of age babies develop motor skills that must be stimulated daily. Find out what they are and how you can help them.
Pass objects from one hand to another
At 4 months old, your baby takes the objects and is able to pass them from one hand to the other without letting them fall. To stimulate him, you should look for toys that he can manipulate and that are safe.
Control the head
At this stage, your toddler begins to sit up and control his head when sitting. You can stimulate him by gently lifting his arms and waiting a few seconds for his head to straighten.
Try to sit
At 4 months old your baby begins to try to sit up alone and supports himself. To stimulate it, you can take it by the hands and gently push it down the back to achieve this position. Remember to stay by his side so as not to drop him.
Holds an object in each hand
At this stage, your baby will be able to hold a different object in each hand. To stimulate him, offer him the objects he likes the most so he can grab them; then hand him a third object and see how he reacts.
From 4 months of age, your baby can turn from side to side with a little help. To stimulate it, place it on its side so that it changes its position and repeat this movement to the other side.
How to stimulate your baby’s new movements?
Accompany your little one to explore and interact with his world through movement. in this way, you will be able to develop self-confidence, your ability to think and to communicate.
Offer him daily objects that he can grab, manipulate and bring to his mouth, implement the game within the daily routine with your baby, organize your home to be a safe place, applaud all his new movements and help your little one by means of stimulation to grow healthy, smart and happy.