How fast it grows! He has already left behind his third month of life and has entered the fourth month, at which time he begins to be more aware of what he is seeing and hearing around him, and of the people around him. The baby continues to learn about the world at high speed, taking an interest in every detail.
We explain to you how the sleep, feeding and sociability of four-month-old babies evolves , when he already observes their faces very carefully and begins to put everything in his mouth.
Feeding your four-month-old baby
At this age, the little one continues to feed exclusively on milk , either maternal or artificial. It does not need any other food, since milk provides them with everything they need to continue growing and developing normally, covering all nutritional requirements on its own.
The supplementary feeding can wait up to six months, whether the baby is fed breast milk as adapted formulas.
Four month old baby sleep
You may start to sleep more at night. At four months the baby sleeps between 15 and 18 hours a day. The baby is consolidating his sleep-wake cycles. You can accommodate the environment before bedtime to establish a night sleep, with low light, tranquility, bathroom, music, food …
Follow the recommendation that the baby sleep in the parents’ room or in their bed to be able to comfortably attend him when necessary (restlessness, hunger …).
Four month old baby growth
Once again, as always throughout the development of any baby, it must be remembered that each baby has its own rate of development and growth: two babies born with the same weight and fed the same can have a very different weight.
The usual thing is that between the third and sixth month it increases between 500 to 600 grams per month and grows about two centimeters in height.
But it can vary and still be within normality. So parents don’t have to obsess over growth charts and should let the pediatrician assess the child’s health.
In addition, the normal thing is that it is not yet of an age to show its first teeth, but it could show signs of its next appearance: increased drooling, the need to bite …
Four-month-old baby development
Although these are not standard achievements, at four months it is common for a baby to:
- Follow faster and faster moving objects and people with your eyes
- Observe the faces very carefully, focusing not only on the eyes
- Keep moving your legs and arms, with increasing force, when you are lying down
- Keep your head stable in an upright position
- Stay upright longer, because the back muscles are stronger
- Raise your head and upper chest, leaning on your arms, when we place you on your stomach
- Recognize familiar objects and people from afar.
- Coordinate your hands with your eyes a little more.
- Control the movement of your hands a little more: open and close them.
- Push off with the legs supporting the feet when placed on a firm surface.
- Bring your hand to your mouth more and more consciously.
- Slap hanging objects.
- Grasp and shake toys by hand.
- Begin to distinguish between him (his own) and what he is not (his strange).
- His vision continues to develop, and at four months the muscular control of the eye allows him to follow objects.
- Distinguish objects and look for them with your eyes, because you are already able to see at a greater distance.
- Show that you have understood the cause and effect relationship that allows you to coordinate an action with the expected result.
- Be able to convey what you want or need even without words.
Sociability of a four month old baby
The form of communication of babies is perfected as they grow. It is very important that we answer the baby when he babbles . In this way we encourage you to follow the rhythm of a conversation. You are not ready to understand stories, but you will enjoy any conversation or song.
At four months, he is still using crying , but expands his repertoire to non-verbal communication. Body language makes its appearance with force and the child uses it to explain clearly if he wants to get out of the chair, be taken in his arms or stop eating. He will even look away at us if he wants to change activities.
He will also frown in bewilderment, surprise or displeasure, he will kick or stretch his arms if he does not want to be in the crib or wants us to pick him up …
When he’s happy, he whispers, yells, babbles, makes bubbles, sticks out his tongue, smiles, and laughs out loud. The baby at four months continues to smile when he sees his parents and other close people, whom he already recognizes perfectly. Perhaps you frown when you see strangers.
Before the games and carantoñas , the baby will reward us with smiles , and other happy babbling.
At this age, stimulation is very important. The more we help baby explore, the more he will learn. Playing with him, singing and talking to him, they will enjoy and grow by stimulating their senses. We can ring with it bells and bells, louder rattles, music … The exits to the outside, with the walks in the open air ( adequately protected from the sun ) are great entertainment for them.
- Leave it face down (on a smooth, firm and wide surface), so that the baby continues to exercise muscles in the arms, legs, back and neck when wanting to get up.
- Leave objects that attract his attention within reach so that he can pick them up.
- Keep it on our chest or abdomen, face down.
- Take him by the arms and stretch gently when he is lying down …
Any game in which you feel accompanied will make you enjoy and learn. With its back somewhat stronger, we can place it on a secure surface between cushions, use a hammock or tilt the back of the stroller a little .