Are you going to be a mother or father of a girl soon and are you looking for the perfect name for your baby? We give you some ideas of girl names that you will like, from the most traditional to the most exclusive with their meaning, the latest trends and we will also tell you the names that celebrities have given their little offspring born in the last year.
Pay attention because we bring you a list of girl names that are trending in 2022. Get inspired and start making your list, among these names could be that of your daughter!
20 girl names that will continue to be a trend
The trend in names is changing over the years, but it does so very slowly, therefore the 20 names that have been given the most to girls born in recent years will serve to inspire you. According to the latest data from the National Institute of Statistics, the girl names that parents choose the most for their daughters are (in order):
- Lucia : of Latin origin “lux”, its meaning is “She who bears the light” or “She who is born from the light”, referring to girls who are born at dawn.
- Sofia : of Greek origin and its meaning is “wisdom” or “the one who possesses wisdom”.
- Martina : feminine form of Martín, of Latin origin and means “consecrated or related to the god Mars”.
- Mary : of Hebrew origin “maryam”, its meaning is “the chosen one”, “the one loved by God”.
- Paula : Latin origin “Paulus” and variant of Paola. It means “The minor”, “The small one” or “That one of small size”.
- Julia : of Latin origin “Iulus” / “Iulia”, name with which the members of the Roman family Julia were identified. It means “consecrated to Jupiter”.
- Emma : of Germanic origin, it means “Big”, “Strong”, “Immense”, “Powerful”.
- Valeria : of Latin origin and its meaning is “healthy and courageous”.
- Daniela : of Hebrew origin, whose meaning is “She who God is her judge” or “Justice of God.”
- Alba : of Latin origin, and means “Aurora”, “Dawn”, “white and shining”, “that which was born with the first light of dawn”.
- Sara : of Hebrew origin and its meaning is “Princess”, “lady”, “sovereign”.
- Carla : of Germanic origin, its meaning is “powerful”, “the one that is strong”.
- Carmen : of Hebrew origin, it means “Garden of God”. It is the most frequent woman’s name in Spain.
- Noa : a new name that has crept into the top 20, being the revelation name in recent years. It is used for both boy and girl. It is of Hebrew origin, it means “delight”.
- Claudia : of Latin origin “Claudinus”, which means “She who limps” or “She who walks with difficulty.” It evokes goodness and honesty.
- Valentina : of Latin origin, it means “courageous”, “vigorous”, “Who has health”.
- Ana : of Hebrew origin, it means “the one with grace and compassion.”
- Olivia : of Latin origin, it means “the one who brings peace”.
- Elena : of Greek origin, it means “resplendent, radiant, luminous”.
- Aitana : name of Basque origin that means “glory”.
Trendy girl names for 2022
On the other hand, there are names that have been going strong in recent years and parents increasingly choose them for their little offspring. We review the names that are setting the trend among the smallest.
- Vera : Its popularity has increased more than one hundred percent in the last five years. There are more than 12 thousand girls in Spain with this name and an average age of 10 years. From the Latin “verus”, which means “true”.
- Vega : the average age of the people who wear it indicates that it is a name that has been a trend in recent years. More than twelve thousand girls with an average age of 6 years wear it. Of Christian religious origin, due to the Marian invocation of the Virgen de la Vega, venerated in many places in Spain.
- Alma : The average age of the girls who wear it is 7.1 years, which indicates that it is one of the “newer” names on the list of the most popular. It is of Latin origin, it means “Kind”, “Gentle”, “All spirituality”. Pasión Vega or Alejandro Sanz chose this name for their girls.
- April : it is a name that has climbed positions in recent years, and the average age of the girls who wear it is 7.5 years. It is of Latin origin, and comes from “aprilis” name of the month of April.
- Chloe : climbing positions in recent years in all its variants: Khloe, Cloe, Kloe. It is of Greek origin, and means “grass” or “green shoots”.
- Lola : If decades ago Dolores was one of the most popular names, today its diminutive is. It refers to the virgin’s pain when her son was crucified.
- Noa : More than 31,000 girls in Spain are called that and have an average age of 7.1 years. A “new” name that has been going strong. Of Hebrew origin, it means “delight”.
- Mine : The average age (4.4 years) gives us a clue that it is a name that has been setting a trend in recent years. It is of Hebrew origin, short for Maria.
- Triana : The average age of the girls who wear it is 5.9 years. It comes from the Arabic, where it is written Atrayana. Its meaning is ‘beyond the river’ and it is also a well-known neighborhood in Seville.
- Zoe : It is undoubtedly one of the most popular short names for girls, climbing positions in recent years. Of Greek origin, it means “to give life”.
- Ona : Follow the preference for short names. Of Irish origin, it means “elegant”.
- Laia : This girl’s name is at number 24 in Spain, climbing positions in the last five years. It is the diminutive in Catalan of Eulalia, a name of Greek origin that means “to speak well”.
- Lara : ranks 25th of the most frequent girl names. A name that has become very popular thanks to the host of the reality show “Survivors” and that has more than 23 thousand girls in Spain.
- Nahia : It is carried by almost seven thousand girls with an average age of 9.5 years. Also Naia (without “h”). It is a modern name that could be derived from the Greek root “flow”, like Nais or “naiad”, Greek nymphs of streams and freshwater springs.
- Cataleya – is among the most popular new names among girls with an average age of 2.1 years. Due to its beautiful sound, it will surely continue to climb positions. It means “pure as a flower”.
- India : the average age of girls who wear it is 4.3 years. It derives from the Sanskrit “indus”, which means river.
- Moana : name of the character of the protagonist of the successful Disney movie, which in other countries is known as Moana. Vaiana, is a name inspired by the sea, which in Tahitian means “water from the cave”.