Your baby has already completed his first year of life! Congratulations!
Often 12-month-old babies are called “children. ” Many of them already walk alone, or are about to do so, and their diet is practically like that of the elderly.
From this moment on, issues related to the education and psychology of the child will be of special importance, in addition to those related to their health and care.
We explain everything you need to know about the development and growth of twelve-month-old babies
Growth And Development Of Your 12-month-old Baby
Congratulations on your child’s first birthday! Have you celebrated it in style? Did your baby manage to blow his first candle?
How does your baby keep growing? If, until now, your child’s growth rate has been dizzying, you should know that:
- After the first year, the growth rate slows down: weight gain is about 200 grams per month, while height increases 0.5 cm per month (more or less, six centimetres per year).
- However, the child’s second year is also exciting. What can you expect in the coming months?
- The physical progress will not be as amazing since the child has already reached the milestones of development “showier”.
- However, the skills related to personality, emotionality, language and reasoning ability will evolve incredibly. Welcome to this exciting adventure!
At this time, when your baby begins to be extremely active and interact in more places and with more people, his immune system (still immature) faces continuous exposure to germs and infections of all kinds, so viruses Common as the cold will stalk you from time to time.
- The common cold and other viral processes do not have a specific treatment, so as long as your baby’s temperature does not exceed 37ºC the only thing you can do is ensure that he is comfortable, use physiological serums to decongest his nose and give him plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
- If your baby, in addition to a runny nose, has a fever, drowsiness, signs of dehydration, a skin rash, rubs his ear, has a persistent cough or difficulty breathing, you should contact the doctor.
Feeding Your 12-month-old Baby
When it comes to food, your child can now eat almost all foods, as long as they are cut into small pieces. However, you should not give him under any circumstances spicy foods, seafood (to avoid the risk of infection), coffee, untarnished tea or, logically, alcoholic beverages.
- In this period, the little one has a lot of fun eating alone or at least tries to do it, since he can already take the spoon and likes to show that he knows how to eat like the older ones.
Give him the freedom to try to eat by himself, but to prevent food from ending up everywhere except in his mouth, you can take these precautions:
- Put a big bib on it (preferably plastic).
- If you are near him, protect yourself and wear an apron; use plastic rubbers; try putting dry and diced food on the plate; do not rush him and let him be at the table with the whole family to stimulate him in the way others eat.
- As in the case of sleep, mealtime can also be favoured with routines and rituals, performed at the same time and in the same way every day.
REMEMBER! The fact eats at the table with the rest of the family, in his highchair, is one of the foundations for the establishment of good eating habits. It is very beneficial for the child’s relationship with food and also makes him feel like a “full member” in the family.
Your 12-month-old baby’s dream
ADVICE! Do not relax: the child’s dream requires perseverance to translate into a good habit, but losing the habit is very easy. We recommend that you do not let your guard down in this regard.
Tips And Well-being Of Your 12-month-old Baby
Once the child is one year old, he is more emotionally autonomous. As it shows?
- You have understood that you can be calm, even if your mother is not.
- The periods of separation can be lived by the child as an occasion to meet new people, who can represent for him a source of fun and learning.
When you have to separate from the child, you can:
- Experiencing brief separations, leaving you (for a short time) with the people who will have to take care of you (family, babysitter, etc.).
- Promote contacts with other people (reassuring them, so that you trust them).
- Try not to establish an exclusive relationship that is too stifling.
- Alert him whenever you leave (even if it seems too small to understand), letting him know when you plan to return and promising that you will play with him when you return, but without getting him used to bring gifts. I don’t know
- Laughter will be the best guarantee that your baby stays comfortable with someone you trust and will also be a sign that he responds positively to stimuli and that he is developing his sense of humour, a sense of humour that, Sometimes, it will prove even with laughter.
Your baby is now more independent and can entertain himself for longer periods of time. The first signs of his personality have emerged and if your baby is now calm, happy, sensitive, etc. he is likely to remain that way as a child and even as an adult.
ADVICE! Whether you leave your little one with the grandparents, with a babysitter or in the nursery, you should have the utmost confidence in the people you trust to care for your baby. If not, it is best to change your option.
What a 12-month-old baby does
At 12 months, his curiosity intensifies and he is more attracted to action games. He spends a lot of time turning the light on or off, or they touch a switch. He loves everything that moves.
Towards the end of this month, his sense of humour increases. When we laugh at something he has done, he likes us to do it and tends to repeat it on other occasions.
The child already distinguishes what is right from what is wrong. Inside, a rudimentary form of consciousness begins to develop.
The little one also begins to call things and animals by name.
- At one year, he moves quickly, on all fours or on his knees, walking if he has an arm, or leaning against the walls. Although less frequently, you may also be able to walk alone, albeit for brief moments and with poor balance.
- The child is already aware of his own identity. You know what its dimensions are, what you need or what you like the most. And it is already capable of seeing in three dimensions: it sees images with well-defined contours, vivid colours and three-dimensional reliefs. The world is no longer flat, it has relief.
How to stimulate the development of a 1-year-old baby
Stimulating the development of the child’s brain from 1 year is key in defining the cycles of maximum brain development. During this period of his life, great developments of synaptic connections, that is, neural links, take place between nearby cortical areas.
This development allows the child to have a great capacity for absorbing information no matter what it is or where it comes from. For this reason, it is so important to stimulate the baby’s brain correctly from 12 months on. Here’s how to develop the 12-month-old baby’s brain.
How is the brain of a 12-month-old baby
Until 12 months of age, the baby will have learned to take his first steps (crawling or walking), to smile, to wave his hand to greet, to focus his eyes, to stretch, to say his first words and to explore, either by through crawling or walking. But what is the brain like after the first year of life?
From 12 months the child will be able to capture the environment and handle communication in a non-verbal conversation. To do this, he will smile, show affection and even looks of amazement or facial responses (like a surprise) at what he is hearing.
In addition, with 12 months or more, the child’s coordination will improve markedly because the cerebellum, which is the part of the brain responsible for coordination and balance, increases in size by three. You will learn to say more words in a row while being aware of what they mean.
Helping 1-year-old baby’s brain develop
Parents are primarily responsible for helping the baby develop properly, but how do you help the development of the baby’s brain properly? It’s easier than you think.
- Be a guide: it is important that the baby notices that you are his guide and that he takes you as his reference person, the model in which to look at himself. Children learn much more from what they see than from what they are told, especially at this stage, so they watch your steps and always work in favour of your little one.
- Make him feel safe: avoid transmitting fear to the baby, since it will catch him very quickly.
- It offers stimuli adapted to its age: it is essential not to hyperstimulate the baby since it may not give him time to assimilate everything and he ends up not learning anything.
- Provides the necessary stimuli
What to do to stimulate their cognitive development?
At this point, the myelination process is in full swing. This means that nerve cells create a thick protective layer that helps speed up signals from the brain. How then to stimulate the cognitive development of the 12-month-old baby?
- Offer interactive games: Starting at age one, baby can turn knobs, open drawers, or put pieces on an interactive toy.
- Talk to him: at this age they understand, and remember, many of the things they hear, so don’t stop talking to him.
- Let him eat alone: If he has shown an interest in food, let him take it by himself.
Talk to the baby to develop language
As we have anticipated, at this age the baby is able to understand many words, even if he does not know how to say them. This is called receptive language, so it is best not to stop talking to the little one, always in an orderly manner.
There will come a time when the baby asks for one of his toys by pointing his finger. It is then when, when giving it, you must say the name of that object.
Play and activities to stimulate your brain
With simple activities like these you can stimulate the brain development of your 12-month-old baby:
- Storytelling: Children love stories, especially if they are staged because they help them to stimulate their brains much more.
- Hide and Seek: is another of the games they enjoy very much at this age.
- Puzzles adapted to 12 months.
Growth milk for baby development (Stage 3)
Growth milk, or stage 3 milk, is milk for children that is made from skimmed cow’s milk to which some components are added to enrich it and give the baby all the necessary nutrients. It is recommended to give children as an intermediate step between continuation milk and cow’s milk.
As for the nutrients in growth milk, it must contain a good amount of iron, calcium, zinc and vitamins to contribute to the correct growth and development of the child.
How long to give growth milk
Stage 3 milk is recommended for 12-month- olds and can be continued until they are 3 years old as part of a varied and diversified diet.