You already have a five-month-old baby! Your son is approaching the middle of the age by leaps and bounds, and it is a stage that you are going to enjoy very much, because, from now on, you are going to observe very important changes in the baby who, until almost nothing, seemed so small and helpless.
The introduction of the first solid foods, the discomfort of the teeth. We tell you what you can expect the development of your five-month-old baby.
Growth And Development Of Your 5-month-old Baby
At five months, the baby continues to make great psychomotor progress. The advances are increasingly surprising and have nothing to do with the defenceless newborn from a very short time ago.
The time has come for the first progress itself. What can you expect at this age?
- Your child feels more confident and autonomous.
- He sees the objects quite well, picks them up relatively easily and brings them to his mouth to “get to know” them better; if he wants to communicate something to you, he knows how to attract your attention; she smiles at you and calls you with her little cries, and he turns to you if you pronounce his name since he has already realized that “that sound” undoubtedly has something to do with him.
- He has also learned to “use” his smile to address the most familiar people, who he already recognizes while being more suspicious or uncomfortable with strangers.
Among the physical progress you will notice that, when lying on your stomach, you try to lift your head and shoulders, supporting yourself on your forearms, while, when you are on your back, you begin to hold your legs until you put your foot in your mouth. He will continue bent on picking up the things around him and even get angry and growl if he does not succeed.
Increasingly he likes to attract your attention, respond with his multiple sounds and with his laughter every time you speak to him, he farts and already chains some syllables as if he were going to start talking at any moment.
In addition to singing, dancing with him and relaxing massages, stimulating games and baby gymnastics are ideal to promote his development. Join him whenever you can in his games and discoveries, but let him explore himself in his play blanket, with his toys and cloth books, etc. Now, in addition, it will begin to recognize itself in the mirror.
And now, do you want to keep checking how your baby is gaining weight and height? Here is our growth chart
Feeding Your 5-month-old Baby
Starting at the end of five months, traditionally, many paediatricians recommended starting the first trials with new foods, although the current WHO recommendation is to wait until six months for the first attempts with foods other than milk.
- Gluten-free fruit or cereals are usually the first to be introduced.
- From six months, breast milk or formula will continue to be the main food of the little one, but it will be accompanied by other foods, gradually.
If he can already sit with support, you can start feeding him in a baby cup, the perfect prelude to the glass. The mug should be sturdy plastic, with a lid that won’t break when the baby pulls it or drops it on the floor, and whose combination of handles and mouthpiece is comfortable for him or her.
ADVICE! At your baby’s age, and before going to the high chair, it is very good to have a baby hammock, in which your little one can relax and take his first solid food, in a comfortable, safe and practical way.
Your 5-month-old baby’s dream
If the baby still sleeps in mom and dad’s room, but does so in his crib, from this age he can go to his own room, if the parents wish.
- However, many families prefer to practice sleeping (sleeping in bed with mom and dad or sleeping in a crib), out of personal conviction.
- There is no single or valid option in this regard: each family is free to choose the route with which they feel most identified.
Another cause of the possible nighttime awakenings of the baby, when it is not about hunger, discomfort or dirty diaper, is that the little one cannot find the pacifier. It is not a rare case, and especially it happens to the little ones who take a bottle since sucking on the breast requires more vigour.
- According to some studies, the pacifier allows overcoming the possible frustration that can derive from the speed of the feeding and, in addition, it helps to relieve tension and nervousness.
- Anyway, there are also children who breastfeed and cry whenever the pacifier falls from their mouths, and children fed formula who are indifferent if they lose the pacifier, so the theories do not apply, nor much less, in all cases.
REMEMBER! If your little one wakes up every time the pacifier falls off at night, a trick is to leave several pacifiers around so that he can find one and hopefully put it back on, although he needs to be a little older for it.
Tips And Well-being For Your 5-month-old Baby
To stimulate your baby, make him listen to sounds that are pleasant and familiar to him; Call him often, with different intonations, respond to his smiles and sing songs to him. In this way, you will be helping him to lay the foundations for verbal communication, the exchange of messages.
How are these bases of language and neurological development constructed?
- Babies are born with all the neurons they will have throughout their lives. At first, however, only a part of them will be connected.
- You should know that, week by week and through everything, your baby hears, sees, tastes, smells or experiences, unique connections are created in his brain that constitutes the bases of his thoughts, feelings, emotions and behaviour.
- Everything around you is decisive in it, so the more experiences you put at your fingertips, the more inputs your brain will absorb.
REMEMBER! Between four and five months, you should be given some vaccines (polio, diphtheria, tetanus and anti-hepatitis, in addition to some optional ones, in case you want to administer them, such as pneumococcus or anti-rotavirus). I don’t know
What a 5-month-old baby does
We can consider the child’s five months as a transition phase. During it, his attachment to things is joined by the desire to make surprising discoveries.
- Placed upside down, and keeping the limbs extended forward, is able to raise the head and arch the back.
- He also begins to put his hands forward when he wants to be picked up.
- If you are lying on your back, put your feet in your mouth.
- Towards the end of the fifth month, possibly, we can contemplate him placing the legs under the abdomen as if he wanted to crawl.
- At five months, you can see well within a radius of a couple of meters.
- As regards his ability to focus, it becomes more and more refined. It has a good perception of depth, so it is already able to assess whether an object is more or less close.
- The little one immediately turns his head towards the source of any sound of a certain entity, such as the telephone ringing. He has already trained himself in the provenance of sounds and raises or lowers his head if the source of the sound is above or below the height of his ear.
- You are also very interested in the noise an object makes when it falls from your hands!
How to stimulate the development of your 5-month-old baby
The development of the baby is one of the most important issues for many parents, especially when the child reaches 5 months old. At this time, we need to best stimulate our child’s brain.
In this article, we explain the keys to a baby’s cognitive development when he turns 5 months old and how we can stimulate his brain.
How is the brain of a 5-month-old baby
At 5 months the baby’s brain continues to develop, although at a slightly lower rate than until 3 months. It continues to create new neural connections that allow communication between different brain regions. Neurons, in addition, go through a myelination process, which makes it possible to guarantee that they survive and unite.
Myelination begins in pregnancy and continues to be completed until at least two years of age, so that until that age, the child’s brain is in full growth, both physically and biologically.
How to help baby’s brain development
By the fifth month, you will notice that the baby’s cognitive progress – that is, the communicative development of the brain – is much more evolved. The baby will have made increasingly surprising advances and our mission as parents is to help him continue to stimulate and develop with a good diet, stimulating games and a lot of patience.
What to do to stimulate the cognitive development of a 5-month-old baby?
Stimulating a baby this age may seem like a complicated process, but nothing is further from reality. You just have to follow a series of guidelines and tricks to promote the proper development of the brain of your 5-month-old baby.
One of the main ways of stimulating the cognitive development of a baby at this age is by taking a very complete diet, with breast milk as the main nutritional support, since it will help the baby to create a very solid communication link with the mother.
Another way to stimulate the cognitive development of a 5-month-old baby is by creating games adapted to his level so that he can continue learning and developing correctly. At this stage, you will show a great interest in investigating and exploring what is around you. Support him and let him set his own pace. Of course, you will always have to be on the lookout to offer help in what you cannot do by yourself. This, in addition, will strengthen the bond and communication between the baby and you, a bond that, if working, will help you maintain a good relationship throughout your childhood.
Talk to the baby to develop language
At around 5 months, the baby will show his desire to start talking by moving his mouth constantly. Some babies even “chat” almost continuously, so a good way to further stimulate language development is to speak to him, repeat sounds and names. Almost at the end of the 5 months, the baby will be able to start babbling or saying syllables in a row like mom or dad, but remember that each baby has his rhythm and is not always the same.
Games and activities to stimulate your brain
Stimulating your brain with games and activities is essential for your development to be satisfactory. We are going to know some tricks to develop the brain of the 5-month-old baby:
- Lay your baby on his back, hold his hands, and slowly raise him to a sitting position. Then go back to the first position.
- Help him chase a toy, this will stimulate crawling.
- Encourage him to start rolling over onto his back and onto his back.
- If your baby is crawling, put some obstacles in the way and let him work it out. Help him if necessary.
- Use monosyllables in conversations with the baby. “Ma”, “pa”, “da” or “te” are some of the monosyllables that will be used the most at this stage of their lives.