Your baby is already 10 months old! At this stage, it will take you to your first birthday.
In no time, your baby can begin to take his first steps, or at least make his first attempts to stand up.
Do you want to know all the keys to the development and growth of the ten-month-old baby? We talk about the milestones of development, feeding and sleep of the 10-month-old baby.
Growth and development of your 10-month-old baby
At around ten months, the baby could reach one of the most anticipated developmental milestones: his first steps. What should we keep in mind about this special moment?
- Although 12% of children start walking around 9 or 10 months, it is normal for them to start walking a little later.
- Now, that does not stand still throughout the day and burns more calories, you will see that his weight increases more slowly than before, no matter how much he now has more appetite.
- In short, you will see that the folds and dimples on arms and legs begin to disappear and give rise to a somewhat more stylized figure.
- From 10-11 months your child may already be able to take some steps, but always supported by your hands or supported by a support point. In any case, most babies still take an average of two months longer to start walking, although they can get around with the help of an adult.
- When the baby begins to move autonomously, it is important to remove all objects or furniture that are within his reach and with which he may harm himself.
Language continues to develop rapidly. He has already become talkative and has now started experimenting with different tones and volumes!
- It is best not to stop communicating with him, even if “conversations” don’t make sense.
- Show interest in what he says, even if you don’t understand him. In this way, you will help him develop his communication skills. Communication in which, although it may not seem like it, he is already beginning to feel a certain empathy, since, now, your baby is already sensitive to the sadness of others and can react crying if he sees that his mother, for example, cries.
Feeding your 10-month-old baby
Continuing with the process of introducing new foods into the baby’s diet, some setbacks may occur, which can alert parents. For example, what can you do if you think your baby “doesn’t eat”, or refuses to eat fruit, vegetables, fish, etc.?
- First of all, don’t fall into despair or anxiety! The introduction of new foods can be problematic for parents, but it is even more so for the baby, who is facing a series of difficulties that not only have to do with the new consistency of the food, but also with the way of eating it.
- Accustomed to the heat of the chest or the consistency of the bottle, the little one has to face the spoon, and it is no longer enough for him to suck: now he has to improvise complicated acrobatics with his tongue and palate. So it is normal that the child does not react with great enthusiasm when trying the first purees.
- The rejection of the mash should not be taken as a whim. The important thing is to make him taste the food in small quantities and not insist when he doesn’t want more.
- Milk continues to feed you perfectly, so the fact of rejecting some foods does not have negative consequences in the nutritional aspect.
ATTENTION! In the transition to complementary feeding, you should always respect the rhythms that the little one indicates to you. Never force him to eat or create a negative relationship between baby and food.
Your baby’s dream 10 months
The routines of sleep are very important. Most babies need to go through a series of rituals, always the same and at the same times, to feel safe and confident. In addition, the rituals serve to guide them and to know what they are going to do. Thus, they gain confidence and self-esteem. What are they for, more specifically?
- Sleep rituals often solve babies’ sleeping problems, if they have them. These problems are not really such since babies often have “micro awakenings” in the different phases of sleep (like all people).
- However, if they have not consolidated the habit of going back to sleep alone, they can express their disappointment by crying, and thus affect the rest of the parents. In these cases, it takes a lot of patience and to be sure that, sooner or later, the little one will end up sleeping all night.
- At this stage, if your baby sleeps through the night, he may be ready to stop napping in the morning. There are babies who need their two daytime naps (the morning nap and the after-lunch nap) until well into their two years, but if you notice that during the morning they entertain themselves by playing with the pacifier, the stuffed animals and the sheets out of the crib, you can try skipping this nap.
- To make the transition from two daytime naps to one, try moving your midday meal forward one hour and also time to take a nap. By suppressing the morning one, it is likely that this afternoon will be longer, although after two or two and a half hours you should wake him up so that this fact does not disturb your baby’s nighttime sleep.
REMEMBER! Although your baby is approaching one year old, it is still normal for him not to sleep through the night. Still, his sleep habits are pretty well established.
Tips and well-being of your 10-month-old baby
As long as the child walks only around the house, it is not necessary to put shoes on. What else is there to consider your first steps and protecting your feet?
- Your first experiences should take place with your feet free of restraints and in direct contact with the ground.
- If it is cold, you can put non-slip socks on it, with a thin rubber sole.
- On the other hand, when you take your first steps on the street, it will be opportune to put the first shoes on, to protect you from the cold and roughness of the terrain.
- The shoe must be soft and flexible, to adapt to the movements of the foot, and not wear insoles, because flat feet are completely normal during the first years since the child’s plantar arch is protected by a fat pad, which it serves to provide more stability and balance.
ADVICE! During well-child check-ups, the pediatrician or nurse will assess the child’s psychomotor aspects, based on standards and statistics. Keep in mind that each child follows his own rhythm within scales!
How to stimulate your 10-month-old baby
Early stimulation exercises that you can do with your 10-month-old baby so that you support him in his development, you can do them with him turning them into games, have fun with him.
In order for you to teach your baby to walk, you can let him hold onto a piece of furniture and you stand in front of him telling him to go with you, with the interest of reaching you, he will begin to take small steps, it is important that he sees you happy because he is going towards you Express your joy with laughter, applaud him, etc.
To support him in the movements of his hands, you can give him a sheet of some notebook, a sheet of newspaper, etc., and a crayon, (there are some thick crayons, which do not break as easily as thin ones), and let your Baby scratch as much as you like, let it break, pull, wrinkle if you want.
You can also give him plastic toppers, with lids, and teach him how to cover and uncover them, so that he can do it, if you see that your baby is having a little difficulty, you can also do it using boxes of different sizes. (to open and close them).
Early cognitive stimulation:
- Teach your baby how to open an object in your house, so that he can do it, that he understands that doing some movement is achieved. (It can be a box with a key or with a lever, the door of a closet, etc. very carefully)
- Hide an object that is to your liking, but cover it with something, letting him see part of it, ask him or tell him to help you find it, maybe it will cost him work, but when he sees that part is seen, he will go for it, be happy when I can find it.
- Helping you with puppets that are placed in your hand, you can tell him a story and move them in front of him making different voices and pretending that the dolls are talking to him, so try to have a little talk with them.
- Show him objects and tell him what each one is called, for example: a stuffed dog and say “dog”, “ball”, “bear”, “chicken”, “duck”, “cat”, etc. Then ask him to give you one of them, if it is difficult for him, you can help him by taking his hand and placing it on the object you asked for and rewarding him with a smile, applause, a kiss, etc.
Have someone knock on your door, either with the knuckles of your hand or the doorbell, let your baby turn around, looking for where the sound is coming from. Let it ring several times and then hold your baby and take him to the door for you to open it and see that someone has arrived. That associates the sound with what happens.
- You can, if you have a massage device, let him touch it or pass it through some part of his body so that he feels its vibrations. (That is not one that can hurt you, it can be one of those used for the face in low speed).
- You can also use the air gun, in medium temperature (not very hot) and play with blowing air into his hair, so that it “flies”, or in his hands to feel the air and temperature. (do not let it touch it because it can be hot).
- Teach your baby to stop something he or she is doing, simply by using a disapproving gesture, with this you are saying to your baby “that is not done”.
- Let him play with children a little older than him, so he can socialize.
- Allow her to be with the family when they are together talking.
Toys and games for your 10-month-old baby
- He likes boxes of different sizes, to open and close them. (so, you do not spend so much !!!!) just check that they are boxes that do not represent any danger to your baby. Haven’t you seen babies or children, who get very expensive toys and the parents are traumatized, because they end up playing with the box? Hahahahahaha
- He likes balls of all sizes and colours, to bounce it has been said, all this is early stimulation!