Your baby is already 15 months old! 15-month-old children already have a “very loose” tongue and are able to make themselves understood with their babble and little words. With each passing day, their language evolves more and more, and they already master the “art” of walking with total stability.
Want to learn more about the development and growth of 15-month-old babies? We explain everything you need to know.
GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT OF YOUR 15-MONTH-OLD BABY
Your son is already a 15-month-old boy who already communicates with you wonderfully, with his “little words” and, above all, with his gestures. What further progress is it making?
- You will notice that his personality is being better defined and that he will be more easily angry at failure.
- In this sense, now that you are forging your personality and your way of reacting to successes and frustrations, it is important to start teaching him to express his emotions and know the consequences of his way of reacting and assimilating each situation.
- Parents must also learn to analyze each child’s reaction, without losing self-control or despair, because knowing and acting intelligently will promote the child’s psychoemotional development in every way and will help him gain security for life.
Now, your baby wants to do everything by himself and, in his day-to-day adventure, he will discover both things that he likes and things that he doesn’t, before which he will be cautious and sometimes even fearful. How does your level of autonomy advance?
- Around 15 months, the little one can help you when you dress him.
- Has a vocabulary of six to ten words, although he understands many more.
- He already walks alone, but his way of walking is still a little unstable. Able to sit by dropping backwards or forwards. You can also climb stairs by crawling and follow simple instructions.
- You can take advantage of the awakening of all these skills to help you with the simplest household chores, such as picking up his toys at the end of the day or giving him a clean cloth to wipe some surface on which he can learn to stay on his feet while others you are also doing household chores.
And now, do we check again how much your little one has grown in these months? Here’s our percentile chart!
FEEDING YOUR 15-MONTH-OLD BABY
Moms and dads, alarmed that their children, once so “plump” and hungry, now seem inattentive and “sucking”.
Many times, parents, and even more grandparents fear that their little ones are malnourished and try to force them to eat by offering them a thousand alternatives that the child usually systematically rejects.
Let’s clarify things a bit: it is normal for your child to lose interest in food between the first and second years. Why?
- On the one hand, the need for food decreases compared to the first year.
- On the other hand, he is very distracted by the environment around him, which he can finally explore with all five senses.
- The fact that the child’s weight decreases in this period is physiological, that is, normal. As a consequence, his face is no longer so chubby and he looks a little paler.
- If the child is moved, he looks happy and the colour of his lips is pink, it is not necessary to think that he is malnourished.
- Despite appearances, the child is perfectly capable of self-regulating his food needs, so forcing him to eat will not produce the desired effect, but will convince the child that food can become a weapon in his hands to attract attention.
ADVICE! Don’t be obsessed with how much food your child eats. Rather, see if he is well, active, and happy, as usual. Do not forget to consult the paediatrician with any questions!
Your 15-month-old baby’s dream
To sleep well, the child must be in a comfortable environment. How can we offer it to you?
- It is recommended that it be a quiet environment, with dim lights and a relaxed atmosphere. Likewise, parents should be calm, to transmit security and confidence to the little one.
- In winter, the temperature of your room should be around 20 ºC, while in summer, when it is impossible to regulate the temperature, it is important to control the humidity level, which should not exceed 60%.
- To keep the humidity at an acceptable level, a humidifier can be used, especially in winter, because the heating radiators dry out the environment a lot.
- In general, the child should not be sheltered excessively, especially if the room has already reached 20 degrees.
REMEMBER! Just because it’s small doesn’t necessarily mean the child is colder than you can be. Use your common sense to know when it’s warm. You’ll do fine!
TIPS AND WELL-BEING FOR YOUR 15-MONTH-OLD BABY
How to ensure the safety of the child, now you can now get almost all single parts?
- While he is not walking, it is difficult for the little one to harm himself, but as soon as he begins to crawl, any object and place can become a danger.
- How can you make your house safe? To ensure safety in your home, first of all, if possible, prepare a room exclusively for him, where you will put all his things (boxes, toy baskets, etc.), to let him do his experiments in complete safety.
- The floor in your room should be smooth and easy to clean (it is not convenient to put carpet, rugs or very shiny floors).
- The decoration should be as simple as possible and without angles.
- The bars of the crib should not be too far apart, to prevent the child from inserting the head and being trapped.
- If there is a family predisposition to allergies, avoid stuffed animals, curtains and down comforters, which are mite receptacles.
- Also protects the plugs and cables that are in sight, which should not obstruct your path. As a precaution, you can install a safety device that blocks the electricity supply in case of shock or short circuit (it is also good to install it for the safety of the whole family).